Monday, July 23, 2007

California Camping

Hello everyone,
This past weekend Corridors Church had a camping trip. We had about thirty people come, with the predominate age being in the high school area. We packed up and caravaned out on the freeway at about 6pm on Friday. The lake is only about 45 miles away, but, lucky us, a semi truck jack knifed on the freeway during rush hour so we didn't get to our campsite until about 10 at night. Then we tried to set up our tents, and I definitely failed at that. I was a driver for the trip, and two of the girls in my car were freaking out when they heard that we would be going without showers and without cell phones for a whole two days. By the end of the trip, they were glad they came, but it was comical at first.
We camped out at Castaic Lake, a man made lake north of LA. We had some good ol fashioned hotdogs and chili the first night of camping, and then the next morning we had a rock skipping contest and then I got a chance to share about my life and who I was. The weekend was really good for getting to know people better. The majority of the day on Saturday was spent at Six Flags theme park. I had never been there before, but it was great. The rollercoasters were pretty amazing, and I got a good chance to get to know people better while we stood in lines for much of the day.
Sunday we packed up and then swam at the lake until we headed home in the late afternoon. Once home, Sam, Christy, Dion and I relaxed and rented a movie. It was really nice to be done with the trip and not have any responsibility for a night.
The Lord has really been answering prayer with regard to our need for rentors in the church. There is a good chance we will get renters for Sunday mornings and for during the week starting as soon as August 1, but things aren't finalized yet. God has been so faithful in that regard (well I suppose in every regard). I am quite encouraged with what's going on here in Pasadena in our community, and while I do miss so many people from home, I am starting to become more and more acclamated to this community. Thanks for all your prayers! By the way, we could use prayer for getting everything in the cafe ready by the 18th of August. That's when we're trying on doing our soft opening and there are a lot of things to do. We have been making progress on different fliers/logos/banners etc, which is great. Anyways, I hope and pray the Lord is growing and stretching you all where you are. I'm tired now and I'm going to go to bed. I think I'm getting old or something because I've been going to bed earlier and earlier recently. One night I went to bed by 10....crazy stuff...

til next time
Doug

No comments: