Thursday, August 30, 2007

Open...slowly

Allright here I am chillin in the cafe. It is Thursday around noon, and this is the second official day being open. Yesterday was crazy chaotic: the credit card machine wasn't working (and still isn't), I hadn't gotten any petty cash for the register, I hadn't labeled the different buttons on the cash register (which made it confusing when I was ringing people up), and I didn't have any milk at first (which is a problem when you're selling drinks). But it was fun, and it went well. We sold around 20 drinks during the day, most of them being either from people in Crux or from a group of pastors that came and used our conference room for a meeting. Everyone seems to really like the drinks, which is great. We just need to get the word out more.

I pretty much stayed at the cafe from 730am til 1030 pm yesterday, because I closed up around 6 and then did a bunch of closing/cleaning duties. I have a feeling there are going to be many long days at the cafe in the next month or so. Sam and I got the chance to pray the past couple days before the cafe opened, and we're going to contine to do that so that we start each day off on the right foot. As far as marketing goes, we made some quarter sheet fliers and Sam and Christy went over to Pasadena City College to set up a booth and pass them out. A bunch of people signed up to play music at the cafe, so we're going to try to start doing those next Friday. I think that will be the best way to grow the cafe and get the word out, because whoever is playing will want to bring their friends and then they'll get exposed to the cafe and hopefully it'll just spread from there. Some of the kids in the community have been really helpful in passing out fliers and they seem to be very excited about it, which is encouraging. Both Sam and Christy are taking classes right now (Christy at USC, Sam at PCC), so things are busy for them, but we're doing what we can to grow this ministry through God's help. It's pretty slow right now, but that's just the way it's going to be for a bit until the word gets out. The people who have come really like it, so I think it's just a matter of time. I need to not be discouraged by the slow start.

Thalia, Leo's younger sister, is moving into our house this weekend. She is very ambitious in her desire to clean up the house, make it nicer, and even cook, which is exciting for me!

I had a great time back in Spokane/Omak this past week, it was good to see y'all. I'm excited to get back here though and see what God has in store for the community. I greatly appreciate your prayers and phone calls.

I will try to put some new pics up later this week...
Til next time

Doug

No comments: